"The revelation. It freed me. It killed me."
This article contains spoilers and plot details from Prototype 2.
Read the article at your own risk.
|Attacks||Swing blades, throwing objects|
|Appears in||Prototype 2|
Luminare Virales Metamorph (Lesser Viral Metamorph or Lesser Viral Shape-Shifter); Colloquially dubbed Evolved were a species of lesser viral shape-shifters created by the Alpha Virales Metamorph (Alpha Viral Metamorph or Alpha Viral Shape-Shifter) Alex Mercer from willing subjects for the purpose of infiltrating and destroying Blackwatch and Gentek and to further his plans to spread the Blacklight virus to mankind.
Alex tasks his Evolved agents with infiltrating Blackwatch and Gentek, as part of his master plot to spread the tainted Whitelight compound, originally meant as an inoculation against his own virus, thus transforming anyone inoculated with Whitelight into an Evolved under Mercer's control.
Evolved (Luminare Virales Metamorph) much like their progenitor Alex J. Mercer (Alpha Virales Metamorph) share many of the same physiological and biological characteristics being incredibly strong, durable, fast, nimble and possessing short reaction times.
Common Powers and Abilities
consuming: Evolved much like all viral metamorphs possess the ability to assimilate an organisms biomass and DNA; this not only strengthens the evolved but also enables them to tap in their victims memories which not only gives them invaluable intel but also enables them to inherit that individuals natural talent and skill, as well as take on their physical appearance.
Accelerated Healing: Evolved much like all viral metamorphs possess an accelerated healing factor which enables them shrug off attacks which would have all but killed a normal human.
Shape-shifting: Evolved much like all viral metamorphs possess the ability to take on the appearance of any individual they have consumed.
- Vocal Manipulation: Once shapeshifted the evolved are able to emulate the voice of those they are impersonating.
- Bio-Mass Shifting: Evolved are able to augment their already incredible physical capabilities by biomass to whatever area of their body they which to augment.
- Bio-Mass Shaping: Evolved are able to shape their biomass to construct and emulate the characteristics of a plethora of different inorganic materials from clothing, and equipment. This ability also enable them to fashion their biomass into deadly weapons.
- Twin Whipfits: Some evolve possess the ability to shapeshift both their arm appendages in a pair of deadly whipfists to target enemies from a range.
- Twin Blades: Some evolve possess the ability to shapeshift both their arm appendages in a pair of deadly blades of four distinct varieties; Broad Blade, Kukri Blade, Thin Blade and Cleaver Blades.
Uncommon Powers and Abilities
Viral Manipulation: Some evolved possess the ability to produced an altered strain of the blacklight virus which can turn organic beings infected by it into living bombs. [See: Biobomb]
Infected Hive Mind Dominion: Some evolved possess the ability to tap into the infected hive mind network, which enables them to summon and take control of the infected. [See: Brawler Pack Summon; Hydra Sentry Summon (Roland Exclusive); Juggernaut Pack Summon; Goliath Summon (Alex Mercer Exclusive); Flyer Flock Summon]
- Viral Tracking: Some evolved such as Sabrina Galloway possess the ability to track other evolved.
- Viral Cloaking: Some evolved such as Roland possess an innate ability to hide their viral signature preventing viral tracker type evolved from finding their location.
Spike Ball Devastator: Some evolved such as Roland possess the ability abruptly erupt blade spikes from their body which can cause a good amount of damage withing a small radius.
- Dr. Karen Archer
- Archer's Contact
- Lindsay Benhurst
- Commander Chapin
- Lieutenant Colonel Ethan Collins
- Evolved Thief
- Dr. Lawrence Foster
- Keith Gallagher
- Sabrina Galloway
- Dr. Harry Gutierrez
- Dr. Jenkins
- Dr. Kishino
- Dr. Anton Koenig
- Elwood Pine
- Dennis Wayne
- Whipfist Evolved
- Kamil Woinski
There are 38 Evolved in NYZ in total, excluding Mercer and Heller, while additional Evolved will rarely appear by releasing Whitelight toward Blackwatch soldiers, Civilians, and Marines.
- Researched conducted on the caged civilians located just west of the Blackwatch base on the southern most part of the Red Zone following the Stronghold Sub-Section of the Blacknet mission Spotted Cat indicates that 1 in 10 people will be trans-mutated into an Evolve following exposure to tainted white light while the rest will either become standard infected or will die from exposure (Experiment conducted 3 times; Side note: if you wish to replicate this experiment then be sure to take out all the blackwatch soldiers present as well as the turret).
- Researched conducted on a single subject (Civilian, Marine, Gen Tech Scientist, and Blackwatch soldier) by subjecting them to whitelight exposure while holding them in a grip for an extended period of time increases the likely-hood that said subject will trans-mutate into an evolved. (Experiment Conducted 8 times; Side Note: By far the easiest experiment to conduct)
- Researched conducted on the caged civilians and guarding blackwatch troops located on the Blackwatch base on the southern most par of the Red Zone following the Stronghold Sub-Section of the Blacknet mission Spotted Cat indicates that in-game military classified units such as blackwatch, marines, and scientist are more likely to trans-mutate into Evolved than the civilian test subjects within the testing group. (Experiment conducted 3 times; Side note: Pain in the neck to conduct, if you wish to replicate this experiment on you own accord then be ready for trail and error)
Combat Tactics and General Information
Aside from Alex Mercer, Evolved are the fastest and most mobile enemy in game. To defeat them, players must act fast to their attacks and counter them wisely. All of the Evolved will wield twin Blades aside from the Whipfist Evolved. Their attacking methods are actually similar to the Brawler's, although faster and harder to defend from. Evolved can also throw rocks or other objects to damage players if far away.
The most effective power against the Evolved are the Claws, the Blade, and the Hammerfists. Claws can constantly damage them, without giving them time to fight back; although it will have problems dealing with multiple enemies. The Blade's Tornado maneuver can deal heavy damage, but can be countered if used at the wrong time. Hammerfists can deal heavy damage and shake them into the air, stopping them from attacking. The Evolved are also very weak against most aerial attacks.
Evolved will sometimes slash with both blades vertically, which when dodged, will cause their blades to become lodged into the ground, upon where players can then use use attack keys near them to deal heavy damage, depending on the power active at the time.
Note: When an Evolved is stunned with a shield bash or a powerful attack, make sure to attack them after they recover, as they have a counterattack where they lash both of their arms upward, which can stop most of Heller's attack and deal good damage.
Some Evolved also possess unique offensive powers:
- Dr. Karen Archer, as well as one of the Evolved that kidnapped Agent Griffin, can summon a Brawler pack to aid them in the fight. Archer will summon Brawlers twice during the fight, two the first time and four the second time, when her health is dropped to a certain level. The Evolved that kidnapped Agent Griffin will summon two Brawlers whenever one of his teammates is defeated. (Should be noted that anyone of them is able to summon a hunter pack; learned this through multiple replays of the same mission)
- Roland can suddenly erupt spikes from his body, transforming himself into a spikeball, which deals heavy damage if not dodged or blocked in time.
- Lindsay Bendhurst, Dr. Lawrence Foster, and Alex Mercer can summon Flyers to aid them in fight. Dr. Foster's Flyers automatically disappear when Heller defeats and consumes him. However, during Mercer's fight, Heller must use the devastator attack to destroy the flyers before the fight may continue.
- The Biobomber, as well as some of the other Evolved, has the ability to biobomb Heller after hitting him with a slash. The attack deals heavy damage. This can be avoided by blocking.
- The Whipfist Evolved's attacks can be blocked or dodged. React fast to defend from the Whipfist and charge to attack during her attacking interval.
On the minimap, Evolved will be marked as small red dots, which helps separating them from normal humans when not in alert. If you know an Evolved is disguised, you may gain an upper hand by attacking first, rather than trying to consume him and got tossed away. Note that this only works when the Evolved is not scripted to run away immediately.
Common Evolved Offensive and Defensive Capabilities
Evolve Blade Combo 1 (Standing): This attack combo is both fast as it is devastating; the attack sequence opens up with a sharp impaling abdominal strike [right arm blade]; fallowed by a diagonal slash [left arm blade]; fallowed by a sweeping horizontal abdominal slash [right arm blade]; fallowed by a wide turning diagonal slash [left arm blade]; and finishing with a wide diagonal strike through the torso into the ground creating a localize shock-wave [right arm blade]. (5 Hit Combo)
Evolve Blade Combo 2 (Charging): This attack combo is slow but powerful; the attack sequence opens up with two quick impaling abdominal strikes [right and left arm blade]; fallowed by a diagonal slash [left arm blade]; fallowed by a sweeping horizontal abdominal slash [right arm blade]; fallowed by a wide turning diagonal slash [left arm blade]; and finishing with a wide diagonal strike through the torso into the ground creating a localize shock-wave. (6 Hit Combo)
Rock/Car Throw: When attacking from a range evolve have been known to dig up bolder size chunks of concrete from the ground using their blade arms or pick up neighboring cars to throw at enemies from a distance.
Leaping Twin Blade Vertical Slash: A supercharged twin blade strike capable of causing extreme damage.
Blade Pounce: A supercharged twin blade strike capable of causing extreme damage (Target Specific: If the evolve target Heller they will not execute this move except Gallagher; Dr. Archer is the only other evolve who will not execute this move either).
Sliding Maneuver: The evolve will employ sliding maneuvers in combat to avoid enemy attacks.
Knee Strike Counter: The evolve will use a knee strike counter to break free from a grapple.
Rising Twin Blade Slash: When down and facing a charging enemy the evolve will employ a rising twin blade counter to halt the enemies advance while dealing good damage.
Uncommon Evolved Capabilities
Charging Blade Strike: The evolve in question charges towards a target in a dashing motion to deliver a powerful impaling strike. (Gallagher and Dr. Archer are the only 2 known evolve to perform this attack; though in the case of Dr. Archer she will only perform it to an anyone other than Heller, such as his Brawler pack if you play a New Game +)
Bio-Bombing Slash: The evolve in question dashes towards an adversary in an impaling motion, before depositing a viral strain into a target which causes them lash with tendrils which pull debris or people back towards the originator of the tendrils.
Tornado Attack: The evolve in question quickly begins spinning at superhuman speeds towards a given target dealing massive amounts of damage. (Only evolve known to use this attack is Commander Gallagher; 8 hit combo if all strikes land)
Not all of the Evolved will start a fight immediately after their cover is blown. Many of them will attempt to run from Heller. When chasing the Evolved, try to keep airborne as long as possible, as the Evolved cannot glide. Players can also wall run along the side of a building to regain momentum and recharge air dashes for continued gliding. Do not try to damage the Evolved being chased as they are immune to damage at this state. If you lose track of them, don't panic and quickly find the indicator of their location. Sometimes, Evolved will try to throw rocks or cars at the player. Dodge this by changing directions or with an air dash.
- Several of the Evolved, such as Dr. Koenig and Sabrina Galloway, refer to James Heller as being one of them, although he shares far more similarities with Alex Mercer.
- It is implied that Mercer originally intended to make Heller an Evolved, but the latter's genetics resisted, and made him a Prototype as a result.
- This is best seen by Koenig's dialogue during his battle with Heller, "I'm what you could have been. What you were supposed to be."
- It also should be noted that while Evolved generally are weaker than Prototype's they are by no means drastically different; which makes sense since both belong to the same species (Virales Metamorph)
- Aside from using powers, Evolved also poses other passive abilities such as using varieties of disguise or consuming, and in some cases, they possess developed tracking skills or the ability to prevent their own tracking.
- Strangely, the Evolved can shift both arms to one kind of weapon, twin Blades/Whipfists, unlike Mercer and Heller, who have a variety of powers, though some are limited to one arm. This can be cited as an advantage over Prototypes, in terms of lethality.
- Exposing citizens and military to Whitelight after Fall from Grace, may rarely transform them into Evolved, even in free roam mode.
- Although the Evolved exhibit high intelligence in combat, those transformed by Whitelight will still attack Blackwatch after transforming for mere seconds, without receiving orders from Alex Mercer. It is presumed that they attack simply because they are amidst the chaos and confusion of transformation and infection.
- While the head Infected of both the Redlight and Blacklight viral outbreaks (Elizabeth Greene and Alex Mercer) cannot ever completely control the actions of their 'armies', the Evolved are the first Infected organisms to perform actions that against the head Infected's will, as both Dr. Anton Koenig and Sabrina Galloway's actions were against Alex Mercer's plan, for they both aided Heller against Mercer, albeit temporarily.
- It seems the viral strain given to the Evolved was modified by Alex Mercer so Blackwatch's Viral Detectors would not recognize them in disguise.
- The Blades used by Evolved come in two variants, the thin version, similar to Mercer's Blade in the first Prototype, and the broad version, similar to Heller's Blade.
- Most Evolved have their own unique battle taunt in mid-combat, with Heller having different responses toward each of them.
- They always counter anything regards on touching them when you try to grab, Bio-Bomb and consume would always reveal their true form.
- The species terminology Virales Metamorph is derived from the Latin word Virales which translates to Viral in english and Metamorph which is an alternate term for shape-shifter. Similarly Luminare is latin for Lesser, which denotes the Evolve's power in comparison to a Prototype's; thus their species name Luminare Virales Metamorph. Similar with the Evolved, the species name Alpha Virales Metamorph used to denote Prototype's is used to denote a prototype's immensely superior capabilities when compare to their Evolved cousins, the term Alpha as it relates Zoology and Sociology is used to denote the dominant creature within a group be it human or animal; thus their species name Alpha Virales Metamorph.